Saturday, September 15, 2012

Early Saturday

Even with the combination of school, the house renovations and a nasty allergy/cold fusion making me feel completely exhausted, I'm still up at 7am on a Saturday. Something's wrong with this picture. I'm blaming it on the stuffy nose not letting me sleep. Anyway, this means I have some time to update the blog while I'm waiting for TJ to wake up so we can go to the house.

Last weekend we went to see how the workers were coming along with the electric and seam filling. The electricians had moved downstairs and were working in the living room and hallway, and the seam filler had finished a 3rd coat of the master bedroom, and had also done one or two coats on the two smaller bedrooms and the upstairs hallway. Our new wall between the closet in the master bedroom was also looking more like a wall and less like a piece of gyprock!

It turns out our ceilings weren't in the best of shape throughout the house and it would just be easier to put gyprock on them, so dad met us there and the three of us put up a ceiling in the middle bedroom. This was my first experience doing any type of carpentry, besides the shelf that I "made" in grade 9 shop class. And by made, I mean volunteered it for my shop teacher to demonstrate on during the various stages until it had magically been completed without me having to use any of the machines.

We started by putting TJ in the attic so he could do something that involved nailing through the attic floor to mark the strapping (I'm still not 100% on what strapping is) which would show us where to screw up the gyprock. Once that was done, I got to help mark the ceiling with the fun chalk line.

Then dad and TJ took over, although I got to help hold up the gyprock with a 2x4 nailed to another 2x4. I'm sure there's a technical name for this.

I had visions of doing the ceilings in the two bedrooms and the hallway, but as it turns out, we are very slow at gyprocking, so we took the entire day to do one bedroom. Shane came to help the next day and helped speed things up.

It rained during a few days over the next week, so Shane brought some of his guys over to finish the rest of the ceilings downstairs, as well as rip out a wall in the kitchen and tear up the floor to see if the hardwood really did run through the whole kitchen like our floor guy thought it did.

It did not.

So we're back to tile.

The rest of the kitchen doesn't look any better, but I promise that's a good thing. 

The ceilings look a LOT better though - new ceilings in the dining room, living room/den, and the hallway (which none of the following pictures really show all that well...)

And more layers of seam filling, which is starting to make the house actually look like somewhere we want to live and not like a chewed up squirrel den:

Although the bathroom still looks a little scary now that the walls have been ripped out in preparation of more gyprock...

Yes, one day this will be the room where we get clean. One day.....

with all this stuff!

So today we're heading up to the house to put gyprock on the kitchen and the bathroom. I'm not entirely sure what my job is going to be, but it should be interesting. We started to clean up the walkway and the jungle garden a little bit, so maybe I can keep working on that. On a side note, if anyone knows anything about how to fix a jungle garden, please get in touch. 

1 comment:

  1. oooooh! you should pull up the softwood in the kitchen and have a terrazzo centre with that hardwood border!!